Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Thesis: Mental Ray Materials

I have to say, my knowledge of mental ray materials is pretty meager at best. I've only recently begun to dabble in skin shading and even then it was only brushing the surface. In truth, rendering in general has been a gray area for me. So researching mental ray materials and their usage in rendering was my first thought when picking a thesis.

There is a vast amount of things one can do with mental ray but I'm going to concentrate on characters. So sub-surface scatter (using maya's fast skin) as well as cloth, anything to showcase a character best in any kind of lighting.

The project that would benefit most would be Brynn. I have thought about applying this to Taerar as well but see as he'll be the first creature I'll ever do, I wanted to focus on it's sculpt. However, I do plan on compositing them both into one image (that awesome concept) so perhaps there will still be room for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment